Sunday, September 9, 2007

Configuring the NVIDIA 8600M GT on my Dell Vostro 1500

Wow,

After some fiddling around, I couldn't believe how easy it was to configure my graphics card and set the native resolution to 1680x1050.

First I downloaded "Envy" http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html.
Ran the installation package.
Launched Envy from "Applications/System Tools" and allowed it to edit my xorg.conf file.
Reboot

After reboot the NVIDIA logo appears and I can login with 1024x768 resolution.
Time to edit my settings.
Open the NVIDIA applet from ""Applications/System Tools" and set your resolution to 1680x1050, apply.

For some reason the NVIDIA applet wouldn't allow me to save the new xorg.conf file, so I previewed it, copied the contents, edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf with "sudo vi " (cause I like vi) and saved the file. Hit ctrl-alt-backspace to restart X and bingo, settings saved.




----------------------
Proto Paintball Gear

No comments: