Friday, December 7, 2007

Installing Star-OS on a Virtual Machine (VMWare or MS Virtual Server)

So I thought it would be cool to install Star-OS on a Virtual Machine. I have done this on both VMWare Server and Microsoft Virtual Server R2. The process is similar. I am sure that VMWare Virtual Infrastructure 3 ESX Server will be a close match, but my license hasn't arrived yet.

This is how I did it.

1. Aquire Linux System Rescue CD, Live CD. I used systemrescuecd-x86-0.3.8.iso
2. Aquire Star-OS Compact Flash image. I used vncOs-1.3.7.v.fcc-2677.X86-PC.cf
3. Boot it all up and pat yourself on the back...Oh, you said we missed a step...ok, here we go.

Assuming you have bound your virtual NIC to your physical interface...
Mount your System Rescue cd and boot up your VM.
Since ifconfig shows no configured IP addresses yet run the command
dhcpcd eth0

Assign an IP manually if you don't use dhcp on your network.
Since my Star-OS image is on a network share, mount it up.
mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=pass //nas-01/Volume_1 /mnt/custom

cd /mnt/custom

My virtual disk is IDE so I will use /dev/hda. Use /dev/sda if your virtual disk is SCSI.
Transfer the Star-OS image.
dd if=vncOs-1.3.7.v.fcc-2677.X86-PC.cf of=/dev/hda bs=512

Unmount your .iso from the Virtual Machine and reboot.
Log in to Star-OS. Default username/password is admin/1234

No comments: