Monday, August 6, 2007

Repaired my First Generation Dell XPS laptop

So I am excited, can't you tell? :) I have this 3 year old Dell XPS laptop that started giving me trouble some time ago. First it got really slow. The CPU would be at 100% all the time and it complained about over heating during POST. Then the LCD went out. So I put it on the shelf. Lately I have been in need of a laptop, but haven't wanted to pony up the money for a new one. I grabbed my old dell and tore it apart and I mean all the way down. I completely cleaned all the dust from the inside, I tell you what, dust was caked on all over the place. After I put it all back the system ran great with the exception of the LCD.

I priced a new LCD from Dell...$687...Ouch! That just wasn't going to do. So I disassembled my LCD, discovered my LCD Inverter and ordered a replacement inverter from ebay. It just arrived and I installed it. 20 minutes, a couple mods and some black tape later...I fired it up and.....Voila! LCD works again. Woohoo!!! Except for the one missing screw cover that I dropped and haven't found yet, you would never know I did any repairs.

Now if I just fix this dead battery ::grin::

No comments: